Dean R. Mon is CEO & president of MonGroup Properties, D.R. Mon Group and its family of independent companies (MonGroup), which is currently building green urban housing communities in Hudson County, NJ.
MonGroup has developed a variety of housing communities throughout Morris, Hunterdon, Union and Monmouth counties in New Jersey over the past 30 years. Considered a visionary in the home building industry, Dean first focused on building stylish, modest and reasonably priced homes in 1995 through D.R. Mon Group, a company that he founded in 1985.
Today, Dean is leading the way in green building. His recent project, Jaclyn Heights at West New York is one of the first communities in New Jersey to be LEED, National Green Building Standard® (NGBS), and ENERGY STAR certified. Dean is passionate about giving everyone the opportunity to live the American Dream of Homeownership – in a modern, green, urban setting.
As a pro-building advocate, Dean has served in leadership positions at the Metropolitan Builders and Contractors Association of New Jersey (METRO) and the New Jersey Builders Association (NJBA). He has held every position in both associations from committee chair to builder vice president to president. He also served on nearly every committee, including the Builders Political Action Committee (BPAC) which he chaired for three terms and continues to be actively involved as a trustee.
Dean is the 2019 first vice chairman of the Board of Directors for the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) and is slated to become its chairman in 2020. He is a member of the NAHB Budget & Finance and Housing Finance Committees, as well as the Capitol Club of Build PAC. Previously, he served as New Jersey’s State Representative for NAHB, and chairman of its Taxation Subcommittee of the Federal Government Affairs Committee (FGAC). Mon also served as national area chairman for New York and New Jersey for three two-year terms where he tirelessly promoted the interests of the region’s building industry in Washington, D.C.
Well-recognized for his contributions to NAHB, NJBA and METRO, Dean has been honored with numerous awards from these associations throughout his career. In 2014, he was named a senior life director for NAHB and received the Silver Hammer Award, as well as the Sponsors’ Choice Award from NJBA. The Silver Hammer Award is presented to an active member who has been inducted into the Builders Hall of Fame and has received the Builder Continuing Service Award. Dean received both accolades for a lifetime of dedication to NJBA.
A New Jersey resident since 1964, Dean attended the Newark College of Engineering where he earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering. He served in the U.S. Army from 1968 to 1970, achieving the rank of sergeant and did a tour of duty in Vietnam.
Leadership Positions Held by Dean R. Mon
Dean R. Mon has been an active member of the local, state and national building trade associations since 1988. He has made a substantial contribution to each association by donating time and financial resources in support of the housing industry. Well-respected by his peers, Dean has held nearly every leadership position at the Community Builders Association (now called the Metropolitan Builders and Contractors Association of New Jersey (METRO)), New Jersey Builders Association (NJBA) and National Association of Home Builders (NAHB). He is slated to be the 2020 NAHB Chairman of the Board of Directors, the highest volunteer position in this esteemed association.
The following is a representative list of leadership positions held by Dean:
METRO Leadership Positions
- Chairman of the Builders Political Action Committee (BPAC)
- National Directors Council
NJBA Leadership Positions
- Life Director
- Executive Committee (Past President)
- First and Second Vice President
- Vice President/Secretary
- Builder Vice Chair
- Trustee, Past Chairman and Treasurer of BPAC
- National Directors Council
NAHB Leadership Positions
- 2019 First Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors
- 2018 Second Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors
- 2017 Third Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors
- Three Terms as the National Area Chairman for New York and New Jersey
- Four Terms as New Jersey’s State Representative
- Chairman Taxation Subcommittee of the Federal Government Affairs Committee (FGAC)
- National Directors Council (National Representative)
- Member of Capitol Club of BPAC
- Member Budget & Finance and Housing Finance Committees
- Past Committee Chairman:
- Federal Government Affairs
- Construction Safety & Health
- Single-Family Production Builders
- Single-Family Small Volume
- Community Activities
Local Governmental Leadership Position
- Past Commissioner for the New Jersey Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial Foundation
- Golden Hammer Award (2018)
- Affordable Housing Award (2016)
- Silver Hammer Award (2014)
- Sponsors’ Choice Award (2014)
- Builder Continuing Service Award (2002)
- Affordable Housing Award (2000)
- Outstanding Political Action (1999)
- Builder of the Year (1998)
- Builder Hall of Fame (1996)